Monday, January 11, 2010

Another Top 5: Favorite Concerts


Mon: 232 lbs. (Jon Arbuckle sigh)


I've seen a few shows in my day. Here are my faves. (There may be more than 5. I hadn't really thought about this yet.)


1. Radiohead in Houston, 1998: My favorite band. My favorite show. I crowd surfed (i was still light enough to do that in those days) during the bridge of "Paranoid Android." This topped off one of my favorite weekends in college. I actually met my wife that weekend. We forgot each other.


2. The Flaming Lips at ACL Fest, 2006: I've seen these guys twice, and it's always a spectacle, but this time i got to see Wayne walk out onto the crowd in his giant bubble.


3. The Polyphonic Spree opening for Grandaddy in Austin, 2001: I've been told that this was only their second show. I have never seen a crowd so happy or ecstatic.


4. White Zombie and Filter in Odessa, Tx, 1995: Okay, Zombie actually kind of sucked, but this was my first concert, so it holds a special place in my heart. And, a guy standing directly in front of my got hit in the head with an empty bottle of Jack Daniels, so there's that.


5. Girl Talk at ACL Fest, 2009: As my friend Scott said, "Fuck Pearl Jam, i'm staying here." And we did.


6. David Bowie in The Woodlands, Tx, 2004: I love Bowie. I was as giddy as a school girl when he came out on stage. And he played everything.


I've seen some other good shit, i just can't think of what they are. Bright Eyes, Sigur Ros, The Melvins, MC Chris, Sunny Day Real Estate, Blur...all good. Muse, Arcade Fire, M83, Nine Inch Nails, Dungen, The Go! Team...also all good.


Must see more. (Another Jon Arbuckle sigh.)

1 comment: