Friday, March 22, 2013

Mefisto in Onyx

Years and years ago, back in my film school days, i wrote a script about a guy with a power.  Despite a little effort, it never went anywhere.  Yesterday, i read Harlan Ellison's 1993 novella "Mefisto in Onyx."  I must say that it's probably good my script never went anywhere, or else i might be paying royalties to Mr. Ellison, as the end of my script is uncannily similar to the ending of the novella, despite my never reading it before now.

That being said, it was a great read.  A real page turner, i knocked it out in about an hour.  It's about a man named Rudy who has a power and is asked by a friend to use said power to uncover some information.  I really don't want to go into it any further, so as not to give anything away, but it's definitely worth your time.  That's the Frank Miller cover art above if you need more enticement.

Here's some ambient music from my friend R. Lee Dockery to accompany your read.  (Listen to more of his work here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment